A Scam Email with the Subject "ATTN:MY FRIEND" was received in one of Scamdex's honeypot email accounts on Wed, 25 Jun 2008 01:42:56 -0700 and has been classified as a Generic Scam. The sender was "johnachukwu2 Gazeta.pl" <firstname.lastname@example.org>, although it may have been spoofed.
GHANA TELECOMMUNICATIONS LTD,
OFFICE OF THE ACCOUNTANT GENERAL,
PROJECT AND ENGINEERING,
ACCRA LIAISON OFFICE.
It may surprise you how I lay hold of your address,but not to worry as it was made assesible through the internet,web site. My name is MR, JOHN Chukwu. I am a senior accountant in the office of the accountant general with the Ghana Telecommunications Ltd. offices. With further suspending your curiousness, let me introduce my purpose of writting so unexpectedly.
There is a deal I intend to propose to you as it would interest you having all that makes a business interesting. But it must be kept very secret as it has the involvement of the accountant general himself as well as other senior members of our offices.it is therefore with trust and confidence that I make this proposal to you which as were very urgent and important as the nature of the business demands.
with confidence bestowed on me I have been assigned by my colleagues to scout or seek for
foriegn partners or business personel to assist us in tranfering some money which has been made ready and awaiting assistance to effect the transfer. The reason why this needs very urgent and immidiate attension is because the amount involved runs to the tune of US $25million dollars . How did such amount of money come about?you may ask. The answer is, it was a deliberate over invoicing of a particular contract awarded by my corperation in 2005 sponsored by World bank through EcOWAS.
Again it is not permisible for a civil servant in Ghana to have a foriegn account , which is the rule of the civil service commission and the code of conduct Only recently, ECOWAS through our Minister of Finance ordered and directed the paying bank through ministry of finance to clear all outstanding bills due for payment to contractors both local and foriegn firms whose contract have been fully executed. Favourably, ours is one of those whose payment has been cleard by the bankres and awiting receipt. The problem we are facing now is how to cash and move the money from the bank, not just at that, but moving it out of the country and urgently.
Most interestingly,the nominated bank happens to be our ministry's bank,that is where every money that is due to our ministry is lodged in. So you see this is where you come in.
We have already prepared voucher for the money but have not fowarded it because it hasn't got any
contractor's name. So the money can not be moved or paid to anybody yet, so you are coming in on the strenght of this advantage. We are going to present you as one of the contractors who execute some of such contractors. As for the actual job your company did, we have taken care of that and will brief you later as soon as this transaction takes off.
Note that the said money has been floating for the past one month, since the payment and it might soon be retrieved. So if you are interested in this proposal, please kindly quicken action as we both stand to gain from this deal. Meanwhile we have agreed that you are taking 20% of the total sum for providing the neccessary assistance then 10% will be added for every expenditure you may incure in the process. Bringing you total collection/ share to 30%.
Most importantly the nature of your business is very relivant to this transaction as all arangement a succesfull and hitch free transaction has been concluded.
How ever, the following information about you has to be fowarded immidiately ;
1. Your name and your address
2. Your company's name and address
3. Your banker'sname and the address
4. Your banker's details and your bank account
5. Your complete phone no. and fax.
Note: That it is imparative to having all this infomaton about you for easy communication and
transactions. It willl also enable us to start action as to be sure that everything would have been concluded and seald in a week time.
Your maximum co-operation is needed.