A Scam Email with the Subject "Contract Opportunity with ECOWAS" was received in one of Scamdex's honeypot email accounts on Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:39:43 -0700 and has been classified as a Generic Scam. The sender was "Ahsul Saadamanty"<firstname.lastname@example.org>, although it may have been spoofed.
Sir, Top of the day to you, my name is Ahsul Sadamanty and I am a consulting Engineer for the West African Gas Pipeline Project. This is a 678 kilometres long pipeline from the gas reserves in Nigeria's Escravos region of Niger Delta area to Benin, Togo and Ghana. It is the first regional natural gas transmission system in sub-Saharan Africa. The 569 kilometres long offshore section which runs through the waters of Benin, Togo and Ghana parallel to the coastline, approximately 15 kilometres to 20 kilometres offshore in water depths of between 30 metres and 75 metres. The new Nigerian onshore section connects the offshore section compressor station at Lagos Beach with Nigeria?s existing gas grid. Together with the Chevron-owned existing Escravos-Lagos pipeline, operational since 1989, the total length of pipeline is 1,033 kilometres. My company is an environmental consultancy agency based in Ghana, West Africa and we carried the environmental impact assessment on the project. The project has not taken off because of leaks detected from the Nigerian side. This, however, is not the issue. The issue is that we have detected the sum of US$36.9 Million lying dormant in the accounts of the West African Gas Pipeline Co. Ltd which is the company formed to oversee the project. I wish to seek your consent to use your details to apply for payment of the said amount as a contractor for the project. You might want to ask why I cannot apply for this sum on my own and keep it all to myself. Believe me, it was the first thought that occurred to me. However, there are technicalities involved which cannot be surmounted should I attempt to do it by myself. First, my company has already been paid for the environmental consultancy and we received the payment two years ago. Secondly, I cannot be involved directly with the above mentioned dormant amount for the simple reason that all contractors, aside those of us who carried out the initial assessments, were carried out by foreign companies and individuals. Therefore, it would be tough for me to claim the funds on my own. However, should you wish to assist in this, we will prepare documents to ascertain that either you or your company carried out Flow Testing on the project. This way, there will not be any need for us to provide any other sort of physical evidence as to your carrying out the contract. The documents we put together will be inserted in the appropriate quarters for the purposes of verification. You may rest assured that I have carefully thought this out and there is no risk of it not going through. As a matter of fact, there is no risk involved in the project. Should you assist, you will receive 40% of the total sum, 10% will be set aside for expenses to be disbursed according to what amounts each of us spend in the process of actualising the project, which I shall retain 50% as the finder of the project. I do understand that you will have several questions and I am willing to answer them to the best of my ability. Do accept my heartfelt good wishes as I look forward to your response. With very kind regards, Ahsul Saadamanty