Been Scammed on CraigsList? – New Service from Scamdex

Back in 2008, Scamdex found a blog devoted to outing the huge population of scammers to whom Craigslist is a God-given opportunity to rip off people the world over. The Blog, Exposing scam artists who use Craigslist
is still here but hasn’t been updated for a while, which is a shame.

Scamdex’s Scam Tip Off Service

Scam Tip Off

I created a service to allow people to quickly log any instances they see of scams online. There are other services that allow this but I didn’t find on that I liked. These were the criteria I felt were important:

• Completely Anonymous (if desired) logging in several different categories.
  • No username/signup process keeps it simple and quick.
  • Few mandatory fields. If you dont know the fax number, I won’t bust your balls!
  • High Search Engine visibility. Scamdex has always relied on Search Engines, especially Google, for indexing of it’s information. 85% our visitors come to Scamdex through a search engine query.

You can see what has already been logged Here and Add information Here. The app is under continuous development and I am working on tools to aggregate similar and identical reports. Any feedback is gratefully received (just make a comment here)

8 thoughts on “Been Scammed on CraigsList? – New Service from Scamdex

1. rigel ryan says:

Ashley robertason contacted me for an item on CL I’m selling. Same story sending me a check then asked me to send “extra money” using western union to pay for “movers” for item. I figure if I deposit his check and send the extra money his check will bounce then he goes and picks up my money I sent away

2. MK says:

Same scammer, Mark Robertson, different day. Contacted me asking about an item I had to sell on CL. Note he’s now pretending to be active duty military and claims he needs help with the shipping etc. Has asked me to send him a pay pal invoice at some email probably so he can scam mine somehow. I said I don’t do Pay Pal and then I promptly reported him to CL. I’m pretty sure that’s the second time he’s tried to scam me. I looked him up, name sounded familiar and sure enough there are complaints galore against this guy. I have to wonder what id anything they are doing about him though, Several years of scams all over the USA apparently on CL and he’s still active?

3. Angela says:

Just had the same “Mark Robertson” text me this a.m. I have to repeat what Josh says above…I didn’t think anything of the phone number being out of state. Anyway, they sent me the exact same text verbatim. Even the same email address…which i thought an odd address too. Listen to your intuition! It’s really too bad I don’t feel like I can use CL anymore.
    Not sure how to most effectively sell my items.

4. Terry Brooks says:

I posted an ad on craigslist baton rouge for a room for rent. I then began receiving contacts from people claiming they live abroad and were coming to baton rouge for LSU studies. Their emails regarding their personal information were all the same yet they claimed they were from different countries Thank God I caught on before I entered into any business with these people but I am wondering what they were going to try to do to me. They kept telling me they were sending me a check for the rental. How were they going to benefit being that I am the owner of the property?

5. Josh says:

I was contacted (via text msg) by a “Mark Robertson” who claims to be interested in my item on Craigslist. After asking if the item was still available, present condition and firm price, he claims he was interested. So far, typical communication between potential seller/buyer. I overlooked the non-local phone number since people dont change their phone numbers as often as they did in the past (after moving).
    Anywho, “Mark” then sent this long text explaining how he will send me a check for the item + pickup fees. After I cashed the check, he will then send a pickup agent to pick up the items, then all I have to do is pay the pickup agent the pickup fee he paid me in advance. He also mentioned he was busy and cannot pick up items himself.

I smelled a “rat” right away and asked him to confirm the steps he outlined, but then asked/stated that the pickup fees would negate the savings from buying the items on Craigslist in the first place. I then informed him that this transaction is too risky and complicated, and I would think about it. He answered that he understood, and wants to deal with me since I understood his outline.
    Needless to say, I hopped on the internet and found his name in relation to Craigslist scams already (including this one). I wanted to reply to those posts, but they all require accounts on the website to post. I want to share my experience to warn others. This guy appeals to your need to buy/sell, then tries to appeal to your intelligence/pride even after you question him.
    Here is a scam post that mentions his name exactly in my case.

The caller ID shows his phone number is (256)392-6298. He claims his email address is:

Good try, buddy!

6. This same exact ad is running currently on the Portland Oregon craigslist. I received the same response word for word. I know how Ebay works being a seller for 14 years. This a total scam. I have reported all 4 of the ads, but doubt CL will pull them.

7. Lora says:

Here are two emails I received from someone selling an RV on Craigslist – my husband, who is so very skeptical about everything almost believed the story. He would never send any money especially wouldn’t send one penny on something he hasn’t seen, however, I am sure there are people that send a down payment or something. The following are the two emails that were sent to me.

First of all I want to thank you for your interest in my 2003 Winnebago Minne Winne. Is in absolutely perfect condition and well maintained. I sell it at this price ($14,700) because I just finished the divorce with my husband. When the divorce was finished I owned this. Now as a women I don’t need it. The total price is $14,700 and it includes delivery to your address. As I travel a lot and I can’t do this transaction personally, the transaction will be made through eBay protection program for the safety of both of us, through bank transfer so we can be sure of the legitimacy of our deal. I have to let you know that I want a fast deal because I have some financial problems right now. If you want to buy it I just need your full name and address so I can open a case. You must know that eBay will contact you without any obligation to buy it or fees.
    Please reply me asap if interested.

Ashley Robertson

Click the link bellow. I have 46 images album:

Hi again,

The RV is already at the delivery company in Miami, Florida sealed and ready for delivery. I’m very busy with my daughter so I can’t meet you in person, so this is the reason why I chose to sell my RV over the Internet. I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. This is how it will work. First of all I will need your full name and full delivery address. After I will receive the info, I will forward them to eBay. They will process your info and will send us both invoices. eBay will send you all the details on how to make a refundable payment. They holds the funds until the RV is delivered to buyer, inspected and the buyer confirms that he received the RV in the described condition. According with the eBay you have 5 days from the time you receive the RV to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not. If you for any reason will not like the RV (but I assure you that will not happening) eBay will refund the money and I will instruct the delivery company to store the RV until I will find a new buyer. Is not necessary to ship the RV back. If you wish to make the transaction, please send me the necessary info so that we can proceed.
    I look forward to hear from you.

8. Monty says:

Thank you sir! We need more sites like this to expose these people. I just got through with a horrible craigslist experience from a scammer. So attention, if you’re listening, you won’t get away with this!